Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Week 5: Narrative aka story

Digging
  • This is an adaptation from a piece I wrote for 262-95

Meir returned home in a shoe box, late into the winter, when everything was covered with a thick layer of frozen snow. I was sad and upset and angry, mostly with myself, for listening to our old Vet, who told us to take care of him at home. Until the last moment we were hoping for his recovery from a liver decease that attacked him few weeks earlier. For short periods of time he seemed to be getting better but inevitably sank back into apathy, spending his days lying in some corner completely unaware of our presence.  I kept thinking that had I sleeked more professional help, sooner, he would still be alive.
So when I was offered at Animal hospitals help, deposing of his body, I was adamant in my refusal. “No way, he is coming home with us,” I almost spit the words in the Vets’ face for even considering this option. Being used to people in grief, he just shrugged, and walked away, but not before he handed me a $1000 bill.
Many hours later, utterly frustrated, looking at the barely noticeable dent I managed to create in the frozen ground, I realized how naïve and completely clueless I was when I was so fast to deny the offer to help. In my defense, I had no prior experience in digging graves in a northern country, in the winter. All I had was a vague recollection of an episode from one of my favorite TV series “Northern Exposures” in it the town mayor, of a small Alaskan town, is taking a count of perspective dying citizens so he can make sure to dig enough graves ahead of winter. “Very peculiar,” I remembered, thinking at the time, amusing in a morbid way and probably highly exaggerated.
But standing on the small hill behind our house, next to a lovely spot I chose, under the old pine, I was not amused at all. I tried everything from clearing a small patch of earth and than trying to create a ditch with a pick axe, to lighting a fire on the now exposed soil. I read somewhere that the hardest part is the surface, about 4"; the ground is warmer underneath so the picking will be easier. When this didn’t work I tried using an assortment of digging instruments I found in my husbands’ tool box, resorting from time to time to stamping on the unyielding ground and screaming. At one moment I even considered storing Meir in the freezer until spring thaw, but the thought of having to face him every day, gave me renewed strength to continue.  
”He had a good life,” I kept telling myself every time I stopped to take a quick breathe or wipe the sweat off my face.   From the day Keren “collected” him wandering in the street, in our home town, just a tiny bundle of white fur with one green and one blue eye. She declared him abandoned and even though it turned out that he belonged to that little boy down the street, she refused to give him back basing her decision on obvious neglect.
He got his name from a famous children poem book, we all loved. “A whole book on one cat” was exactly that, a whole book of poems dedicated to a white cat named Meir that looked exactly like him. He roamed our yard for many years before he was shipped, in his crate, to the U.S (Continental, cargo) when it became obvious we were not returning back any time soon.  Yes, he had a good, fulfilling life, as any cat can expect to have, but still I was sad that he had to be buried in a foreign, frozen, ground so far from “home”.
I kept looking at his shrinking cold body, now stuffed in the small box, and felt that I am betraying him yet again. He did not resemble in any way the big furry cat he used to be and the least I could to would be to find a way to bring him to rest in an honorable way.
So back to digging, even if I’ll have to move the dirt with my hands one handful in a time, I was not ready to give up and declare defeat. Finally, late in the afternoon, in the fading light, I managed to make a shallow ditch, barely deep enough to fit his body. Keren and I laid a big flat rock on top and wrote his name, in Hebrew and English.
We are selling the house, now that we are not living in it, and finally found a buyer. As we’re going through the necessary paper work I keep thinking of that afternoon. I am pretty sure that I will not miss the house, but that picture of the hill and the stone over the small grave will probably keep haunting me.

We called him Meir –Yonatan Geffen
The minute we laid our eyes on him
We decided that his name will be Meir.
Grandma said that it will not do to call a cat in a person name
Mom said that she couldn’t care less and a cat name makes no difference to no one
And dad said that he likes this name Meir
And that grandma should stop interfering

3 comments:

  1. Hard to read this--I have a dog dying right now of a liver/autoimmune problem and have already been worrying about digging a grave--possibly I'll have to tunnel into a stone wall and immure him in it. And I am dealing with clueless vets who seem put out that the dog refuses to get better and, rather than let him decline and die painlessly at home, which is what seems to be what is happening, are all too eager to offer euthanasia. I'm prepared to shoot him myself as I've done with dogs in pain before rather than drag him back to the vets....

    Anyway, this is yours and Meir's story, not mine and Scooter's.

    Why end with the poem--why not start with it? Why include it at all? Why have that last graf?

    I'm smiling here--it's been a few hours since I read the cooking one, but didn't I make the same comments there? That the end kind of stepped on itself? That's the kind of problem most writers would like to have: you write wonderful material but then chug on a little too long and have to lop that excess off. As problems go, negligible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am answering to all four pieces.

    Yes the prompts are all about my mother. I started with the food one and then ended up with a whole line of writings about her. Should have put a “dedication” – to my mother, at the beginning :-) I kind of liked it that there is a connection.

    As for the recipes and list of foods at the end, did you mean that a recipe could add to the piece? wasn’t sure. As for the list, I was just carried away finding all the Hungarian names of my favorite childhood dishes. There was really no other reason for the list to be there. I also remembered that you said that you cook so I thought that it will be interesting.

    The poem, I did not see it as part of the piece but couldn’t resist the moment of nostalgia. Could it be an integral part of the piece? I don’t know. Selling the house triggered this story to surface that is why the graf is there.

    Sorry about your dog and it makes me feel a little better about keeping the cat at home till almost the very end. Once he fell into the hands of the people in the animal hospital it all became so invasive and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "As for the list, I was just carried away finding all the Hungarian names of my favorite childhood dishes." If you'd written that, my reaction would have been different, but that's not quite there.

    "did you mean that a recipe could add to the piece?" That's up to the writer--if you wanted to have your husband and mother wrangling over a strudel, then, sure, the recipe might work in the piece. But this is not a piece about food. It's a piece about your family: you, husband, mother--food is a huge part of any family's life but that's not what your focus really is.

    "couldn’t resist the moment of nostalgia"
    You have to be cold as a veterinarian when it comes to dealing with your own writing. Resist!

    I liked the mother-theme linking the prompts too. I'd demand something like that from students if I didn't know it was too ambitious for most of them.

    ReplyDelete