Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Week 7 Prompts/ 32

32. Who's the last person you'd want to remember? (This has at least two possible meanings--think about it!)


Settling scores

“The entire world is a very narrow bridge, and the most important thing is not to be afraid at all” Rabbi Nachman of Breslev

I run their faces one by one like in a lineup. Make them stand in a straight line facing me and then in profile, maybe facing the wall. Yes, at the time they all seemed like the ultimate villains but not anymore.

I dive into my memory to recheck the facts, shake the dust off and examine the evidence. Run the old scripts of “I said…She/he said,” over and over. From across the span of time I strive to reconstruct the hurt feelings, the anger, and the sense of betrayal. I close my eyes and try to concentrate.

Time like a miracle worker softens the angles; and portrays new ones, not seen, being blinded with rage. What doesn’t kill you make you stronger is the only thing that stands up, unchallenged, by the test of the passing years.

 I could easily pull out all those that at that split second I was ready to kill, so my face will be the last thing they’ll ever remember, even if they did not wish for it. But these moments are too far gone.

1 comment:

  1. I run their faces one by one like in a lineup. Make them stand in a straight line facing me and then in profile, maybe facing the wall. Yes, at the time they all seemed like the ultimate villains but not anymore.

    I dive into my memory to recheck the facts, shake the dust off and examine the evidence.


    I love the faux-cop show tone there, turning them all into criminals with you the investigator/victim. A new angle on the topic, one I've never seen.

    ReplyDelete