Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Week 12: taking risks/ prompt 57. My summer vacation....



Summer

***

Hiring new stuff,

Retraining the old

Spring cleaning galore

Fixing and sprucing up

Restocking the supplies

Refreshing all schedules

A flood of reservations

And last minute cancelations



The toilet in room 2 is clogged

The bed in room 5 creaks

The curtain rod in 17 just broke

The Wi-Fi too slow

The mattress too soft,

The mattress too firm

The window doesn’t latch

The air-condition wouldn’t hush



It’s too dark outside

The light comes up too early

The neighbor next door so noisy

What, only twenty channels

No swimming pool

What are we to do

Maybe write a blog

Cause’ it’s rainy all day long



No brown sugar

No bananas either,

I wish there was honey

At least some peanut butter

I’m lactose intolerant

Gluten sensitive too

Where is that damn ice

Didn’t I pay a full price



Couldn’t sleep a wink

That peeping sound got me mad

Couldn’t sleep a wink

The dog next door barked

Couldn’t, yes we know…

Huddled under the blanket all night

The hyenas were laughing in the dark,

I think I saw a mice…



So much nature

Too much nature,

Give me some shopping malls

Forests and lakes and ocean

And ocean and forests

And lakes,

Something interesting for the kids

Maybe a mall

***

The leaves are turning

But it is still raining

How long will it take

Can’t find it on the GPS

Thanks for your hospitality

Motel with such quaint personality

Have to leave, bummer

Until next summer

***

Fall

3 comments:

  1. This is a real corker! The intro to your true-life motel tales. I really am enthused and amused by this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, oh, by the way--nice juxtapositions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to try to have a week in 162 devoted to irony, but I could never explain the difference between describing an ironic situation and writing in an ironic manner. It was the latter I was after.

    You have it down perfectly. Nice deadpan irony.

    ReplyDelete